How to Use This Database
The documents housed in this database are separated into three different categories, each with independent search functions: binding instruments, non-binding instruments, and international monitoring documents (treaty body jurisprudence and related documents). Performing a search in one section will only yield documents from that section.
To learn more, watch our short video about the IHRCanadaDb.
Please see the glossaries and other online resources cited below for more information about the distinction between these three categories.
While the precise search terms for each of the three sections varies, to search for documents, the following generally applies:
- If you know the title of the document, or part of the title, enter it in the “title search” box.
- If you wish to filter the results further so as to only show a certain subset of results, use the other fields (eg. date, topic, document type).
- If you are confused by any of the search terms, click on the ‘?’ icon next to search items for additional information.
- Search results are presented in list form.
- To access the document, click on the icon on the far right – where possible, both English and French language versions are available. All documents are PDF documents contained within the database and will download directly to your computer.
- To find out additional information about the instrument or document, and to have access to other related documents, and external links to html versions, click on the instrument/document title in the left-hand column of results. This will open a pop-up window with the information and additional links to documents.
- You can sort your search results by clicking on the header of the category by which you’d like to sort.
- If you wish to further filter your results, you must return to the original search page.