Fighting Racism Through Human Rights
Grant Application Deadline: Midnight (ET), Thursday, December 10, 2020
Anti-racism is enshrined in the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination. Canada has been a party to this instrument since 1970. Article 1 of the Convention defines ‘racial discrimination’ as
“… any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.”
Do you have AN ANTI-RACISM INITIATIVE? One that a small grant can make happen? HRI is offering up to $2,000 in funding for your initiative.
Who can apply?
- Individuals, community groups and associations, or not-for-profit organizations (no applications from commercial enterprises or political parties).
- This round of applications is limited to initiatives located in Ottawa (the City of Ottawa) and Toronto (City of Toronto and Greater Toronto Area GTA).
- One application per person/group
What will HRI fund?
- Initiatives must focus on the elimination of any element referenced in Article 1 of International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
- Your activity must be completed by January, 2022.
- HRI will post the successful initiatives on its website.
- A brief report (one paragraph length) will be expected from you on completion, and it will be posted to the website.
- Send your ideas – you know best how you can make a difference.
What we will NOT FUND
Funding cannot be used for:
- conference or workshop registrations
- travel to meetings
- bursaries or scholarships
- funds or prizes to other individuals or organizations
- Initiatives that take place outside of Ottawa or Toronto
HRI reserves the right not to award grants if no suitable applications are received.
How do I apply?
Simple! Complete the online form here.
When will I know if my application is successful?
Applications must be submitted by midnight Friday December 10th 2020.
Human Rights Internet will evaluate all applications and notify all applicants by February 2021.
Thank you for your interest!